However, when selecting a target keyword, if the keyword is not a popular keyword with high needs, inflow (traffic) to the site cannot be expected even if the top display is successful.
To select a keyword, you first need to determine how often the keyword has been searched (whether it has high search needs and is popular).
It’s also important for local SEO to find out how well your keywords are being searched for in that area.
What is a keyword search volume?
- Search volume is the average number of searches that a keyword is searched by a search engine each month.
- The larger the search volume, the higher the needs and popularity of the keyword, and if the top display is successful, stable access can be expected, and inflow performance can be expected.
- However, popular keywords tend to be more difficult to rank in SEO.
- The Keyword Planner is a useful tool for placing Google Ads.
- Therefore, you need to register an advertising account.
- You can use it with a free account, but currently, the search volume is displayed as a rough number for free, and it is a number that can not be used as a reference.
- The following columns explain how to check the search volume with the keyword planner.
Search volume data that Spy digital media’s SEO can acquire
- The search volume data that we acquire are the following four items.
- Monthly search count (search volume)
- Annual trend
- Ad cost-per-click
- The contents of each item are explained below.
4-1. Monthly search count (search volume)
- Displays the number of monthly searches for registered keywords.
- This number is a number searched in Japan, not a global search.
- The number of monthly searches is the average number of monthly searches for the past year. Therefore, it is impossible to determine whether the search volume has increased or decreased recently, so it is necessary to check the annual trend.
If the value is too small, a hyphen (-) will be displayed.
4-2. Annual trend
- It shows how much the number of monthly searches has increased or decreased in one year and the rate of increase/decrease. Keywords with a positive trend are those with increasing search needs.
- Conversely, negatively displayed keywords may be less popular.
4-3. Ad cost-per-click
- This is the cost-per-click (CPC) when advertising on Google Ads. It is displayed in Japanese yen.
- This is also the unit price when advertising in Japan.
- The higher the unit price, the more popular the keyword.
- This is a relative calculation of the strength of competition aimed at that keyword, such as the number of advertisers when advertising on Google Ads.
- The higher the number, the more competition there is, the more popular the keyword, and the more difficult it is to take SEO measures.
What is a long-tail keyword?
- Even if your search volume is particularly low (below 100), conversion rates tend to be very high if your keywords are subdivided and have a clear intent.
- Collectively, they are also called long-tail keywords.
- Therefore, it is necessary to carefully determine whether it can be a keyword candidate even if the search volume value is low and take measures.
How to check search volume that is useful for local SEO
- Normally, the search volume is judged as a numerical value that represents the relative popularity and needs in Japan, but with the Spy digital media SEO function, you can check the search volume in a specific area (city-level).
- How much need for search keywords within the store’s commercial area, especially when implementing local SEO measures?
- Where are the areas with particularly high search needs within the commercial area?
- You can investigate the search volume in the target area and use it for MEO measures.
- Even if your store is not in that area, you need to take local marketing measures as a strategy, whether online or offline, such as promoting the next store or raising awareness in an area with high search needs.